Sierra Vista Elementary School was
built in the early 1950s on land donated by the Underwood family. It was constructed
for $240,081 by A. C. King Contractors, based on the architectural designs of
Horn and Mortland. The neighborhood school has been located at 510 Barstow
Avenue, between Minnewawa and Pollasky avenues, since its inception.
When it opened, Sierra Vista,
along with Weldon Elementary, was part of the Clovis Elementary School District. The school was built, in part, to accommodate
the growing downtown Clovis community, as well as to replace the aging Clovis
Grammer School, which was condemned and dismantled in 1952.
Students attended their first
classes at Sierra Vista on September 3, 1953. Pine trees and junipers lined the
walkways leading to the 12-room building, with specific offices for the
principal, nurse and secretary. There was also a small kitchen that served as a
lunchroom for staff and faculty. Cedar trees and crape myrtles provided
additional beauty and aroma to the welcoming grounds.